Frequently asked questions
Ayurveda is a traditional Indian medical treatment system with a history of more than 5000 years. Ayurveda is one of the few systems of medicine developed in ancient times that is still widely practiced in modern times. This is predominantly a herbal based medicine with zero to minimal use of chemicals.
Yes. in India, they have to go through a five-year medical education in Ayurveda.
The doctors then get a BAMS (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery) degree. They can get a license to treat patients only after this. However, you may find some people posing as doctors without any qualifications or expertise. So, it is always better to check the credentials of the doctor first
Yes, Ayurveda is indeed legal in India.
Ayurvedic hospitals have to be registered with the government and get a license to treat patients. Most insurance companies in India cover Ayurvedic treatment under their medical coverage plans
Ayurveda is the traditional Indian medical system.
It has been in existence for more than 5000 years. It is thus the oldest practicing system in the world. Ayurvedic treatment is a holistic treatment method that considers the body, mind, and soul as a whole. Treatment is more for the person as a whole than just the disease.
Panchakarma is an integral part of Ayurvedic treatment in India. It means five (Pancha) actions(Karma). These five actions or treatment methods clean the body and rejuvenate your mind. They are
- Vamana: Emesis or Induced vomiting
- Virechana: Induced sweating
- Nasyam: Medications through the nose to clear the nasal passage
- Vasthy: Medicated enema
- Raktha Moksha or Bloodletting
These procedures release the toxins from the body
Kerala is known as the cradle of Ayurveda tradition. Some of the main reasons why it is famous are
- Long unbroken tradition that dates back more than 5000 years
- Availability of herbs, for medicines, due to the vast forest cover
- Ashtavaidya tradition is still active in some Ayurvedic hospitals
- Ayurveda is a part of mainstream medicine in Kerala
- Medicines do not have Lead component in them